Tips for Avoiding Holiday Scams
Points to Remember:
- Verify a Web site’s security before ordering merchandise online.
- Ask questions before making a charitable contribution.
- Be a smart shopper when buying gift cards.
- Approach a local lender if you need to secure a holiday loan-be wary of unsolicited credit repair offers.
- Avoid sweepstakes, lottery and other advance fee schemes.
- JUST HANG UP on unsolicited telephone offers.
To verify a charitable organization’s legitimacy, visit www.give.org.
To learn more about safe holiday shopping and how to avoid common consumer scams, contact the Office of the Attorney General at (800) 252-8011 or visit www.texasattorneygeneral.gov.