The Museum is TEMPORARILY CLOSED for renovations until further notice.
The Hill County "Cell Block" Museum, located one block north of the Courthouse in the old county jail house (1893 - 1983), was awarded a Texas Historical Marker in 1981 and is entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Museum was the old county jail, completed in 1893. The architect was W.C. Dodson, who also designed the Hill County Courthouse. The jail was built by Lovell & Hood at a cost of $26,220. The front part of the building served as living quarters for the sheriff's family, and the rear housed the cell blocks, kitchen facilities, and sheriff's office. Prisoners were kept here until April of 1983, at which time the Hill County Historical Commission obtained the "old jail" to restore and use as a county museum.
Hill County Museum, Inc. is a non-profit corporation supported by gifts, donations, memorials, fund raising, memberships, and grants.
$5.00 - Student
$100.00- Contributor (individual or Corporate)
The Hill County Cell Block Museum is open to the public every Saturday from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm, during the months of April through October, and by special arrangement.
Gifts, donations, memorials and memberships may be mailed to:
Hill County Museum, Inc. P.O. Box 555 Hillsboro, Texas 76645